Music, Television, Film, Food, and Life Served Up Daily, Pits & All!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Leave Joe Out of It.

So against my better judgement, I am watching the final presidential debate. I needed something to do while waiting for the Project Runway finale and since I couldn't find a rerun of the Rachel Zoe Project, I settled for the yammering of politicians. 
I should have picked up a book.

It was the same old stuff. The economy blah, blah, blah. And of course Joe came up. Sarah Palin loves to talk about Joe Six Pack and Obama has his own Joe in Biden so the wrinkled turkey necked artifact needed his own "Joe". Johnny referenced Joe the Plumber, a real man Obama met in Ohio this week, a billion times. Joe the Plumber, like Mr. Six Pack, is supposed to represent us regular Americans. It's a cartoonish yet folksy way to blanket characterize an entire group of people without ever actually having to be one of those people. It is insulting to have multi-millionaires paint our collective picture as factory working Coors swilling Billy Ray Cyrus fans. Sure they exist and God bless them but I ain't one of them. For future reference politicians, I'd like to be called Josie Chardonnay, thank you very much.

And poor Joe the Plumber. Little did he know a conversation with Barrack Obama would turn him into a poster child for Skeletor and the gun show goddess.

No comments: