Music, Television, Film, Food, and Life Served Up Daily, Pits & All!

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

This Place is SO Never Again. Or is it?

Donna Martin may have graduated but it turns out that Kelly Taylor never left West Beverly High.
 I just read this morning that Jennie Garth has singed on to do the CW's Beverly Hills 90210 spinoff reprising her role as  Kelly Taylor who's now a guidance counselor at her old high school. Sounds pretty terrible right?

Listen, I'm no hater of the original. In fact, I referenced the infamous rave episode on our way to a downtown nightclub just last night. And I was a fan of  Garth's back in the day. I even went to a signing of her workout tape at a Wal-Mart in Colorado, an event so shameful and tragic that few close to me even know of it's existence. I've seen nearly every episode of 90210 and a few of them are classics in my opinion. But a new version seems a little Peach Pitiful, if you ask me.

The CW already has a hot teen show in the brilliantly campy Gossip Girl so another high school drama seems a little pointless. And I'm worried that without the presence of Aaron Spelling, the show just won't have that same "gotta watch it" quality that only he could master. It's also worrisome that Rob Thomas, of Veronica Mars fame and writer of the new pilot has been replaced. Add to it the casting of Lori Laughlin and the weak premise and you've got yourself one big "9021-0h-Hell-No". 
I'm not too thrilled about Kelly as a guidance counselor either. I never really bought "nice Kelly". I always preferred the original bitchy version who never met a hot guy or velvet choker that she didn't like. Andrea Zuckerman would have been better suited for the job but I suppose she's retired by now and her hips wouldn't hold up during the strenuous shooting schedule.

All of my bitching aside, I'm sure I'll end up watching it out of curiosity. If it's fabulous then I'll be pleasantly surprised. If it sucks, then I'll have something to snicker at. Now if I could be guaranteed cameos by Kari Wuhrer and Cathy Dennis, I'd be on board faster than you can say 
"Mrs. Teasley"! 

1 comment:

Unknown said...

All I have to say is that you know what a fan of the show I am. ( so does everyone else ) I just have one lingering question is Mrs. Teasley coming back too. This show seems more like an opportunity to give employment to out of work actors then anything else. We will watch and see.