Music, Television, Film, Food, and Life Served Up Daily, Pits & All!

Monday, April 28, 2008

A Piece of Cake? I think not.


I'd like to take a moment to challenge whomever equated the term "cakewalk" with being "extremely easy". Because I took part in two cakewalks yesterday and got my ass spanked! 
True, it was all in the name of charity (my friends are raising money for the AIDS marathon in San Francisco this August), but I was a little ticked off that I wasn't the first winner. To make matters worse, I went back confident that I would be victorious and again ended up with zilch!
I was shocked. I mean something competitive that involved bake goods seemed like something I could win in my sleep. And I was a former cakewalk winner back in second grade, thank you very much.

Well either my triumph at Saint Philomena's back in 1981 was a complete fluke or my cakewalking skills are a in need of a tune up. Still, I was up against some fierce competition. The first round, I was whooped by a delicate, little lady who seemed like she'd be easy to knock out of the game. That's what I get for underestimating the prowess of a skinny girl in need of sweets. The second round was more pathetic. I was the second person eliminated while people who'd been drinking all day in the sun battled it out over the cake that I assumed would be mine. 

A pot smoking guy in a floppy Indiana Jones hat with a green feather approached me afterwards and said "I was rooting for you, man". That made me feel better until I realized this was the same guy who earlier was  banging on a wood box keeping  time with Stevie Wonder's "Superstition". 

Still, I helped out a  good cause, had a delicious burger in a strangers backyard, and even ended up with my own cake. Okay, it was a default cake and the only store bought one but it's cake nonetheless. I plan on digging into it this evening while I watch a new episode of Gossip Girl.
Sweet!

No comments: